History of the theatre
The Tivoli Theatre is one of Scotland’s most historic buildings. Grade A Listed, it had stood unused and neglected since 1997. The Tivoli Theatre Company Ltd. purchased the building in 2009 and have restored it back to its former glory.
The theatre was founded in 1872 as Her Majesty’s Opera House and designed by James Matthews and C.J. Phipps. The building was improved and redeveloped in 1897 and 1909 by renowned theatrical architect Frank Matcham. Re-opening in 1910 as the Tivoli of Varieties, the theatre hosted some of the worlds best-known performers such as Charlie Chaplin, Stan Laurel and W.C Fields. The building continued to cater for theatre-going audiences until 1966, when the main auditorium began use as a bingo hall, remaining so until 1997, when the Tivoli finally closed its doors to the public. This popular Aberdeen landmark fell into total disrepair and was put on the Risk Register as critical.
The Tivoli Theatre Company Ltd. have completely restored the building making it an ideal multi functional venue while at the same time protecting the historic auditorium.